Unbaked Date Squares are a South African favourite. They can be flavoured with vanilla or brandy and can be cut into squares or rolled into balls. They are usually covered in desiccated coconut to make them less sticky, and some recipes add more butter to make them softer, but the basic recipe remains the same.
200 g packet Marie Biscuits
125 g butter
125 ml brown sugar
250 g dates, chopped & pitted
10 ml vanilla essence
45 mℓ coconut to sprinkle over the top
1. Break the Marie Biscuits into small pieces and leave them to one side.
2. Place the butter, sugar and dates in a saucepan and heat for 5min until the butter is melted.
3. Add the vanilla essence
4. Mix the biscuits with the sugar and date mixture.
5. Leave the mixture to cool for 5min.
6. Mix well and then spread mixture into a lined container. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
7. Refrigerate for a few hours and cut into small squares.8. Store in an airtight container.