SOUTH AFRICAN CURRY AND RICE
A comforting, old school South African Curry and Rice recipe! Most definitely the ultimate South African comfort food. The sort of Curry and Rice you would find at the local church bazaar, vessels filled to the rim, topped with fruity Chutney and a tablespoon of coconut. Spread out on tiny tables and accompanied by old smiling ladies with shiny cheeks and dirty aprons.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 onions peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 15 ml olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 3 potatoes peeled and finely cubed
- 20 ml tomato sauce
- 20 ml white vinegar
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 9 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fruit chutney or one cup, if you want it less saucy
- sprigs fresh rosemary chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onion with the garlic.
- Add the mince to pot, brown and add a cup full of water.
- Cook the meat for about 10 minutes with the lid on, every now and then giving it a mix and making sure the meat has a little water on it. Don’t let the meat cook dry.
- Add the potatoes and carrots, add more water if needed, and cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on, until the potatoes and carrots feel soft.
- In a mixing bowl combine the tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, curry powder, turmeric, flour, salt and chutney. Give it a good mix.
- Add the sauce to the mince and mix through. Add the rosemary, Lower heat and let it simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve with fluffy basmati rice, chutney, coconut and sliced bananas.
For more information on this wonderful dish visit https://www.aninas-recipes.com/recipes/south-african-curry-and-rice/